Reflections is a National PTA arts in education program. The program was started in 1969 and is the largest arts in education program of its kind in the United States. Students have the opportunity to use their creative talents by expressing themselves through their own original works created around a theme.
WE NEED JUDGES! Click here if you would like to volunteer as a judge.
The Reflections theme for the 2019-2020 school year is “Look Within”
Use your imagination to create artwork, photography, poems or short stories, dance choreography, and music composition. You may enter as many times as you like in as many categories as you like. Each entry must be accompanied by an official entry form. Be sure to reflect the theme in your work. Complete official rules and regulations can be found at https://www.wastatepta.org/events-programs/reflections/
Four Rounds of Competition
Five Grade Divisions
- Primary (Preschool – Grade 2)
- Intermediate (Grades 3 – 5)
- Middle/Junior (Grades 6 – 8)
- Senior (Grades 9 – 12)
- Special Artist (All grades) Click here to read about the Special Artist Division.
Participation in Reflections is organized by student grade levels. Student works are critiqued against others in the same grade division.
Five Art Categories for our school:
- Literature. Accepted forms of fiction and nonfiction include: Prose, poetry, drama (screen play and play script), reflective essay, narrative, and short story.
- Music Composition. All instruments, sounds, styles and combinations are accepted. Copyrighted material is prohibited. The composer may be the performer, or one of the performers, but does not have to be. Notation, score or tablature required for middle and high school division. **Music videos are not accepted**
- Photography. Accepted forms of photography include: A single photo, panoramic, photomontage (one seamless print of multiple original photos), a multiple exposure, negative sandwich or photogram. Original black-and-white and color images are accepted. Entrant must be the one to take the photograph. Must be mounted or matted on cardboard mat, foam core, or other rigid, sturdy material. New size requirement: Minimum of 3” x 5” and maximum of 8” x 10” for photograph and 11”x14” with matting.
- Visual Arts. Accepted forms include: Architecture (2D), collages, photographic collages (multiple photos cut/pasted), computer-generated image, design, drawing, fiber work, mobiles, painting, and printmaking. No framed entries including canvas stretched over a frame. Paper entries must be mounted on a rigid, sturdy material such as foam core or cardboard mat. New maximum size: up to 24” x 30” with matting and up to 1/2” thick.
- Dance/Choreography. Accepted forms include traditional, cultural and/or reginal dances. Entry must be an original choreographed dance that reflects the theme. Choreographer may be the performer or one of the performers but does not have to perform the entry. Video of the performance must not exceed 5 minutes in length and 150MB in file size.
Have fun and make sure all entries relate to the theme: Look Within
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.